Subject: Re: end tags
From: "John E. Simpson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:09:13 -0500

At 05:55 PM 1/19/99 +0100, Fredrik Lindgren wrote:
>[I] wrote:
>> Attribute values must be single "tokens" (or words, roughly speaking), so
>> what expat is rightly complaining about is that "466 KB" is *two* tokens.
>> Make it "466KB" and I bet the problem goes away.
>
>Where in the spec is that specified? The only production regarding CDATA
>attribute content I can find says:
>
>  [10] AttValue ::=  '"' ([^<&"] | Reference)* '"'
>                        |  "'" ([^<&'] | Reference)* "'"
>
>I thought that [^<&"] meant I can have any characters except <, & and ",
>which would allow me to use whitespace characters if I want to.

You're right, I was wrong. I don't know what I was thinking of, except that
I'm not used to seeing whitespace within attribute values (except for
enumerated attribute types, e.g. IDREFS and NMTOKENS). But then I'm not an
XML parser. :)

John E. Simpson
Just XML (ISBN 0-13-943417-8)
Available now from Prentice Hall PTR