Subject: Re: XML-tagged religion.200 available
From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 13 Oct 1998 10:43:46 -0400

At 12:05 AM -0400 10/13/98, Jelks Cabaniss wrote:

>What is the implication for *linking* to those verses, where there is no ID
>attribute, as opposed to:
>
>        <v n="1">In the beginning, there wasn't diddly.</v>

With XPointers it's straightforward to specify the seventeenth verse of the
first book and so forth. For example, John 3:16 is probably something like

root().child(1, book, title, John).child(section, 3).child(16, v)

This is the sixteenth verse of the third section of the first book whose
title attribute is "John" of the entire document. I'm not sure whether this
matches up with Bosak's DTD, but you get the idea.

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | [log in to unmask] | Writer/Programmer |
|        XML: Extensible Markup Language (IDG Books 1998)            |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0764531999/cafeaulaitA/   |
|  Read Cafe au Lait for Java News:  http://sunsite.unc.edu/javafaq/ |
|  Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://sunsite.unc.edu/xml/     |