Subject: Re: IE5 support vs. Mozilla support
From: "Simon St.Laurent" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 14 May 2001 21:39:07 -0400

At 05:18 PM 5/14/01 -0700, Christopher R. Maden wrote:
>At 16:46 14-05-2001, Peter Flynn wrote:
>> > Unfortunately, for most real-world data, that's not sufficient; consider
>> > the simple case of <xref target="foo"/>.
>>Which XSL fails to provide for properly anyway...
>?  Because XSL is driven by XSLT, you have the transformative power
>available to generate the proper text.  CSS doesn't have the computing
>facility to do that.

Unless, of course, you're dealing with fragment identifiers.  Since XSLT
throws away the original tree, mapping 'result' to 'origin' is pretty
tough.  Since CSS has the original tree, it's not so bad.  (I think you
tried to solve this problem once, maybe more.)

If someone would implement an XLink+CSS engine, it might not be so bad,
since CSS could rely on the facilities in the underlying
implementation.  Mozilla's done exactly that, though for simple XLinks only.

Simon St.Laurent - Associate Editor, O'Reilly & Associates
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML - XML essays and books