Subject: Re: Jenson's ligatures
From: "Rolf F. Rehe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 6 Sep 2002 16:56:21 +0200

>In a message dated 9/6/2002 1:36:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>

>> So what do we call a long_s+short_s in non-German languages?...
>> I propose we just call it an "eszett" (however the hell it's
>> supposed to be spelled...). It's pretty clear that we need
>> an easy term for it outside of German.
>>

>I propose you call it "non-existent," "obsolete," "archaic," or some other
>equally descriptive term which indicates that the combination is not used in
>modern printing of any language using the Latin script, except for the
>aforementioned special German character.
>
>-- Dick

The argument is made that in certain cases, such as the word
'Reisssschiene', three letters 's' would have to be used together; if
not, in some word combinations, only to letters 's' could be
misleading...I say that is the lesser evil. If all other languages
can do without that glyph, the German language can do. And I think
some American type designers would feel relieved not to have to do
that particular letter...
-Rolf
Rolf F. Rehe
Design Research International