Subject: Re: Buy a Mac! <g> (was Em and En dashes in DOS/Windows
From: Peter Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 27 Apr 1995 16:00:42 +0100

   >>and its true on British & Canadian Macs too!! I wondered when someone
   >>was going to point out the beauty (ease) of Mac font selection for extra
   >>characters.

   E[nm] dashes are present in _any_ text font on the Mac, so
   there are _no_ font selections/changes needed to get them.

The above >> wasn't mine, I was quoting it. You're quite right, em and
en rules are (or should be) in any font on any machine. Although I do
sometimes borrow the rules from another font if I don't like the ones
the supplier has included (sometimes not the ones the designer made
:-).

   This is the LaTeX/SGML philosophy.  I don't know.  You can go
   too far this way I think.  For instance, would you like to --
   when you type a period -- having to specify whether you're
   typing a (a) full stop at the end of a sentence, or an (b)
   abbreviation.  _Who cares?_

It's usually possible for a system to deduce this logically if needed,
but in fact the encoding of punctuation can be a very real problem
when you start to do things like implementing multilingual textbases.

   If you grant me three mouseclicks I can get at a _lot_ of
   glyphs (including all of Gardiner's set of Middle Egyptian
   hieroglyphs -- try doing _that_ with Unicode :-))

   1. Click on the font menu to select the font the glyph is in
   2. Click on the PopChar menu to select the specific glyph from the font
   3. Click on the font menu to go back to the font you came from

Three mouseclicks granted to Freek :-)
What I _hate_ is systems which make me wade 19 deep through menus I
really don't want, just to get at characters that should be easily
available.

///Peter