Subject: Re: Report & pictures from ATypI in Rome (sexism)
From: Jef Tombeur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 18 Oct 2002 03:13:26 +0200

> From:    Jill Bell <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Report & pictures from ATypI in Rome (sexism)
> Hardly!  Look at the program we were given in Rome.  Of the 74
> presenters at ATypI (including Garrett Boge who was the director
and
> moderator), there were 65 men and 9 women. Sure there were women
> there... but there was not the faintest doubt about the ratio.

Thanks, Jill, for putting on line all this (and mentioning links
such as Luc Devroye's page on his site).
Best pics I've seen so far.
I'll also do some kind of similar page (linking to your site, Luc's,
others, and using Pierre Roesch's pics).
But indeed, if you look at the list of attendants at Atypi Roma, you
get similar results :
males outnumber females.
On the other hand, Atypi's attendance is not quite a reliable
touchstone...
For ex., you'd think there's no Fr. typographical scene (only
Jean-François Porchez, Pierre Roesch, Damien Gauthier, Sophie
Brissaut, myself,  listed, if I'm not wrong; and you can discard
Sophie and me as typographers, one being known as a proofreader, and
I being a mere journalist).
So Fr. attendance is not reliable.
But, we've met young female students of Jean-François (one who is
studying at La Haye/Den Haag and is Fr., two studying in Paris but
are either from Asia or the Middle-East).
Considering the very small sample of Fr. speaking attendants, we've
had a 2/3rd ratio (I include Peter Bilak's friend, who studied at
the A.N.R.T., and is a fluent speaker of Fr.).
But, yes, for the time being, males still outnumber females...
But one Jill Bell is worth quite a few male typographers, no ? ;-)
Maybe Caroline Archer could tell us about the Brit. scene.
I would not be surprised if, five years from now, you'd have some
kind of parity for the under 30 years-old generation.