Subject: Re: Fonts of choice-Bold
From: gunnar swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Jan 1998 08:17:49 -0600

I was surprised to read Goudy OS described as "unobtrusive" and "the least
quirky." I didn't put it on my list because I haven't used it for a while.
(It was--by my choice--the "house font" of a firm that was my biggest
client for years and I probably OD'd on it.) Although I like the face I
would have described it as quite--almost self-conciously--sweet.

I always hated the bold, finally resorting to Goudy Handtooled with the
handtooling part removed (for an -incredibly- sweet face). It is very
common that beautiful OS and Transitional faces have very ugly bold
weights. I'm curious what faces people can suggest that have beautiful
bold weights.

Gunnar

On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Miles Newlyn wrote:

> At 02:31 PM 1/18/98 -0500, Patric McPhee wrote:
> >
> >To go back to favourite faces for a minute, my favourite when I want an
> >extremely unobtrusive text face that nobody will notice is Goudy Old Style.
> >It's got to be the least quirky typeface of all.
> >
> I'm a little slow to get in on this thread, but I, too, am rather fond of
> Goudy Old Style.  I have found it to be readable, well-behaved & versatile.
>
> Here Here,
> Goudy Old Style is a great typeface, I've just used it for a very major
> global corporate identity, and it stood up well in all situations, with just
> enought individuality, and plenty of stature. The ampersand is beautiful, nice
> and large for headlines.
>
> Miles
> cardboard uk

Gunnar Swanson                          Gunnar Swanson
University of Minnesota Duluth          Gunnar Swanson Design Office
Art Department                          2213 Dunedin Avenue
317 Humanities                          Duluth MN 55803-2226
Duluth MN 55812
                                        218/724-9620
218/726-8827                            fax:218/724-9621
[log in to unmask]                      [log in to unmask]