Subject: Re: Font Classification Site
From: Rodolfo Capeto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 30 Aug 1998 19:32:17 -0300

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Phan Nguyen wrote:

> DIN Rennaissance refers to Old Style letters, where Venezianische
> Renaissance-Antiqua is the equivalent of Venetian Old Style (Vox
> Humanes), and Franzsische Renaissance-Antiqua is the equivalent of the
> Vox Garaldes (almost sounds Latin, eh?)
>
> RB Rennaissance also refers to Old Style, but specifically to earlier Old
> Style (15th and 16th centuries, including Venetian)
>
> In the RB scheme, later Old Style (17th century) is referred to as Baroque.
>
> Meanwhile DIN Baroque refers to Transitional types, which is the
> equivalent of RB Neoclassicist. But DIN Classicist is RB Romantic (aka
> Modern).
>
> Confusing, isn't it?

This has always amused me. It shows that the relationship between
letterforms and the major stylistic trends in Art's history (so
cherished by Bringhurst and his followers), though charming, is very
tenuous at most. So, is Bodoni a Neo-classicist or a Romantic?
Intuitively, I'd go for the first alternative. He smells more like
a Canova than a Delacroix to me...   ;-)

rodolfo capeto