Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Re: Traveling with instruments
From: Bill Haneman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Jun 1995 11:58:22 -0700

I couldn't let this thread go another day without excerpting what I think is the
penultimate statement on the subject - Tom Paxton's "Thank You, Republic
Airlines" (on Flying Fish FF356):

... < first verse omitted>

Thank you, Republic Airlines, what a joy to the musician you are
What a zest you added to pedestrian skies
It was boring to be flying where the wild goose flies,
But the tedium was broken by your wonderful surprize
When you broke the neck of my guitar

Thank you, Republic Airlines, for treating my instrument with care
There can be no greater happiness for the musician
Than to find his instrument in this condition

<Growl>, Republic Airlines, in the firmament of baggage you're a star
For you treat each piece of baggage like a child of your own,
When you come across an instrument it's dropped like a stone,
May you wake up every morning with a new broken bone,
Like you broke the neck of my guitar.

I've been traveling most of my life and the thrill is long time gone,
But the sight of another DC10 just fails to turn me on
But I feel my heart start pounding when I get to the baggage claim,
And when I see how you handled my instrument the thrill is still the same...

Thank you, Republic Airlines, for splintering the neck on my guitar
My guitar case was so strong that nothing could get through it
'Way to go Republic only you could do it!

Crash! Bang! Republic Airlines, in the field of demolition you'll go far,
For you took it as a challenge when I turned in my case
And you saw the fragile stickers slapped all over the place
May a team of mad flamenco dancers do to your face
What you did to the neck of my guitar

There could be no satisfaction greater than if
You should be the next to go the way of Braniff!

-Bill