Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Re: jig rhythms & dancers
From: Joseph R Root <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:24:11 -0600

I had a little bit of experience playing treble jigs for dancers at a
music camp (My Darling Asleep played so slowly that the dance instructor
and I re-christened it My Catatonic Baby).  It was a not exactly a
pleasant experience but an important part of my growth as a musician,
what some folks in the states would refer to as "going to the woodshed".

There's nothing more difficult than playing slowly and yet keeping a
consistent tempo.  After a lot of frustration, I discovered a little
trick for helping my tempo; if I heard the clip-clops of the dancers
enough times I could run a mental recording of those dance steps
(especially the triplets) in my head, kind of like having you own
internal dance metronome going on when you're playing for them.

Joe