Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Re: ITM and Australian TM ?
From: Scott DeLancey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:50:02 -0800

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Charlie Ball wrote:

> And at the risk of making a fool of myself, also, I can't resist a
> comment.  I am a long-time player of Irish music and play regularly in a
> couple of local sessions.  These are located in the heart of the
> Appalachian country where Irish music supposedly morphed into bluegrass.
>  And try as I can, I can't find any similarities.  I suppose a

But remember that bluegrass--which indeed is mostly what you hear in
those parts these days--isn't really the local trad music of the area.
That's what people refer to as old-time music, which has unfortunately
been replaced by bluegrass in most of its old domain.  But bluegrass
itself is a modern innovation, just about as old as I am, consciously
invented for the age of radio and stage performance--so the Old World
roots, which it indubitably has, are pretty well hidden by now.

Scott DeLancey