Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Re: the frieze wife
From: Philippe Varlet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 21 Mar 2010 13:35:31 -0400

At 12:11 PM 3/21/2010 +0000, Paul de Grae wrote:
>On the limited evidence I have, I can't just now say with any certainty
>whether the ur-version of this tune was an air or a dance tune. I hope to
>find out more on my next field trip to the Archive in Dublin, but for the
>moment all I can say is that the oldest version I know of is "The Soup of
>Good Drink", which appeared in the first volume of "O'Farrell's Pocket
>Companion", c.1805.

I had a few other settings indexed, all from the same period as
O'Farrell's, but they put me on the track of earlier utterances

My point of departure was two settings both included in Smollett Holden's
"A Collection of Old Established Irish Slow and Quick Tunes &c," printed in
Dublin in 1805 or 1806. One, printed among many familiar jigs like "Kinegad
Slashers," "Morgan Rattler," etc, is called "Drops of Drink" and, I now
realize looking through Fleischmann, is in fact a copy of a single-jig-like
tune called "Drops of Good Drink" from a ca 1770 manuscript entitled
"Songs, Dances and Other Tunes for Violin" in the collection of the
National Library of Scotland. The other is entitled "Gramachree is a Sup of
Good Drink" and written in 12/8 and in F instead of G. The title suggests
perhaps a connection to a song, possibly from a ballad opera, but I do not
have any tangible proof of that. Both versions also appear in separate
volumes of the Aird collection, so a decade or so before O'Farrell. A
further setting, also in F but with parts reversed, is in the John Murphy
collection (London, 1809), one of the standard early pipe music sources.

Incidentally, my research in Fleischmann reminded me once again how faulty
the cross-referencing of tunes can be in that work, as I was bouncing back
and forth between settings which should all have been linked.

Philippe Varlet
Hard-to-find imported Irish CDs
http://www.celticgrooves.com