Help for IBN-L Archives

IBN-L Archives

Subject: Re: POSSIBLE Glaucous winged Gull - hybrid not ruled out
From:Mícheál Casey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 15 Nov 2009 11:20:41 +0000

Hi Edward,

Expert opinions received so far are on the side of it being a hybrid, possibly Glaucous-winged x Herring Gull.

Nobody in Sligo, including the finder, Derek Charles, put the bird out as anything other than a possible Glaucous-winged Gull.

The note on Irishbirding.com summarises current opinion fairly well "1st Winter type bird showing characteristics of a Glaucous-winged Gull. Drumcliff Bay. Hybrid not ruled out."

I posted a link to some images of the bird last night on the IBN-L, which doesn't seem to have gone through to the list.

Trying again here - images are posted at  http://www.sligobirding.com/November2009Gallery.html

It is certainly a very striking looking bird, quite unlike any other gull we have seen in Sligo.  The spectacular stranding of tonnes of starfish at Lissadell has attracted about 1,000 gulls showing up in a concentrated area, which yesterday included 1 Kumliens Gull, a first winter Ring-billed Gull, two Iceland Gulls and this bird.

Regards,

Mícheál

PS  Just spotted that I accidentally sent last night's email from my new email address which is not registered for IBN-L mail - my apologies

Begin forwarded message: