Help for IBN-L Archives

IBN-L Archives

Subject: Re: Aquatic
From: Eugene ARCHER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 13 Jul 2010 14:52:39 +0200

Hi Mark,

I don't know where exactly in Ballycotton and Ballyvergan they were
ringing so I can't really say. The vast majority of birds we trap here
turn up in the nets outside of the reedbed proper and in the sedge and
grass habitat while a few are often found in the first 10-20m of nets
inside the reedbed. They really do seem to have a preference for low (<
/ = 1m high) vegetation.

And as Steve pointed out in his mail, Aquatics turn up in the UK at
sites that could be classed as very touristy while the place here in
France where I've been has a oil refinery beside it . . . . . .so even
sites on the edges of towns, industry, etc. can be worth checking !

Start in August and continue till October, use playback, have huge
amounts of patience and some degree of luck and then you'll have a small
chance of coming across an Aquatic . Think of them in the same terms as
being as difficult to find as a Lanceolated Warbler or approach the
challenge the same way you would set aside a week to go seawatching at
the Bridges in autumn in the hope of seeing a Bulwer's Petrel. A
veritable needle-in-a-haystack !

Best regards,

Eugene

Web: http://birding44.free.fr/