At 12:05 PM 11/17/95 EST, you wrote:

>    Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 20:16:31 -0500
>    From: Gavin Nicol <[log in to unmask]>
>
>    The only alternative I see is dynamically filling
>    the columns as you scroll down;
>
>Yes.
>
>    which would seem rather confusing to the reader.
>
>Not necessarily.  Offer the user either "column paging" or "line snaking"
>modes to choose from.  In the former, when the user scrolls down one line,
>you remove the first visible column and move subsequent columns towards the
>first column, then fill the last column with new content.  In the latter,
>you simply move one line up into the last viewable column and pop content
>backward through prior columns.
>
>I think user's can handle this a lot better than having to scroll to
>the bottom of the document then return to the top of the document to
>read a new column.
>
>Regards,
>Glenn

The browser should know the amount of screen real estate it's using.
Why not use that value and page the columns to the current viewable area.
The scroll down could enter a "next" page. This would fit the use of the
"Page Down" and "Page Up" buttons on the 101 keyboard. Printing might need
to be changed.

  Walter Tingley                             Tel. 505.667.3934
  JCI Computer Systems Manager               Fax  505.667.2405
                                             MS   A199
  Johnson Controls Inc.
  P.O. Box 50
  Los Alamos, NM  87544