Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

HTML-WG Home

HTML-WG  May 1995

HTML-WG May 1995

Re: html 3.0 - banners ok - where is the trailer?

lilley <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 May 95 10:35:59 EDT

Dave Saunders:

> [Someone]

> > The current DTD in the HTML3 I-D allows you one <BANNER> element
> > and multiple <LINK REL=Banner HREF=banner.html> elements. It would be
> > an easy matter to allow multiple <BANNER> elements at the start of
> > the document <BODY> though.

> "Banners
> 	Permitted Context: the start of the BODY element
> 	Content Model: %Body.Content"
>
> A banner restricted to this model is pretty easy to implement, but if you
> allow them to be tossed all over a document, it could start getting very
> /interesting/ to implement. Multiple banners in a series are fine, but I can
> see people putting huge blocks of text between banners and somehow expect new
> static regions to be created as one scrolls through the document.

This could be solved by inventing a new container for banners, like this:

<!doctype stuff>
<head>
  etc
</head>
<static>
  <banner>foo</banner>
  <banner class-whatever>bar</banner>
</static>
 and so on

and requiring that static precedes all bodies, just as head precedes body now.
Something like

<!ENTITY % html.content "HEAD, STATIC, BODY">

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author
|       Manchester and North HPC Training & Education Centre        |