HTML-WG@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

HTML-WG Home

HTML-WG  September 1995

HTML-WG September 1995

Re: DATE, MONEY, etc.

[log in to unmask] (Craig Hubley)

Wed, 27 Sep 95 02:51:07 EDT

> I'm probably missing something, but is there anything wrong with =
> ISO8601, which provides for unambiguous reference to a point in time as:
>
> CCYYMMDD"T"HHMMSS=20

This is GMT I presume.

> with the reference to UTC? (ISO provides for offsets, but why =
> unecessarily complicate matters?)

It is 'necessary' in my opinion that HTML authors be reminded that they
are dealing in GMT.  If you want the attribute value to be "GMT=..." that
would do fine as a reminder.

> It seems to me that it's up to the browser to know what time zone the =
> user wants to live in whether that information is available from the =
> operating system, e.g. Windows '95,  ... or is entered as a preference =
> by the user.

Or the application.  Many people live in one time zone and work in another.
It may be an 'object' not a 'user' attribute.

> Likewise, the software preparing the copy should be able to generate the =
> normalized date/time and spare the user the agony of having to know =
> his/her UTC offset.

I agree, but we'll still have hand-hacking of HTML.

> Steve Graham
> The Associated Press

As we've been requested to take this offline, I'd ask that you send me the
detailed references to the ISO documents so I can reference them in draft
I'm authoring on this:

--
Craig Hubley                Business that runs on knowledge
Craig Hubley & Associates   needs software that runs on the net