HTML-WG@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

HTML-WG Home

HTML-WG  August 1995

HTML-WG August 1995

Re: The BASE element dilemma

Ka-Ping Yee <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 21 Aug 95 02:26:09 EDT

On Fri, 18 Aug 1995, Peter K. Sheerin wrote:

> Many thanks to Ka-Ping for documenting this so thoroughly!
>
> I need to point out an apparent discrepancy between our observed results,
> though, and comment on the reason behind it (stay tuned, this gets
> interesting):

[...snip...]

> Ka-Ping is obviously using Unix versions of all browsers represented here,
> due to the version of Mosaic mentioned.

Yes, that's right.  I tested all four browsers under X-Windows.  I forgot
to explicitly welcome reports about other browsers and other platforms,
but meant to imply that other data would also help to fill out the
picture...

> The reported behaviour for Netscape may occur under Unix, but under
> Windows versions, the behaviour is inconsistent. In Windows 1.1, it
> behaves as above. Under Windows 1.2b4, however, it changes [the displayed]
> Location to BASE followed by "#foo" when a link to "#foo" is selected,
> *and* follows the BASE URL as displayed.

Ah.  Yes, i'd guess that someone there changed their mind.  Does Netscape 1.2
continue to exhibit the strange loading behaviour i described, where the
cache is fooled by BASEs that point elsewhere?

> Ka-Ping, can you check this under Unix, to see if this has changed
> consistently?

Err -- if you mean "check 1.2b under Unix", it isn't out yet.  Netscape 1.2
beta only exists for Windows at the moment.

What is your opinion with regard to the conclusions i reached?

Ping (Ka-Ping Yee):  2B Computer Engineering, University of Waterloo, Canada
[log in to unmask] | 62A Churchill St, Waterloo N2L 2X2, 519 886-3947
CWSF 89, 90, 92; LIYSF 90, 91; Shad Valley 92; DOE 93; IMO 91, 93; ACMIPC 94
:  Skuld  :  Ayukawa Madoka  :  Belldandy  :  Amano Ai  :  Hayakawa Moemi  :
draft Video Girl Ai manga full-translations posted - [log in to unmask]