Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Subject: Re: NCSA patents on MOSAIC ???!!!
From: [log in to unmask] (Jong Park)
Date:Mon, 30 Jan 95 16:17:42 EST

It is really sad that Internet community is facing a dirty war
of greedy business style "I want make money, only I I I I..."..
Science and Technology are the accumulated sum of so many
dead and alive soul's sacrifice, pure joy, devotion, donation etc.
When any technology wanted applications for public, it assumes
itself public in principle.
I feel sorry for all these things.

At 06:45 PM 1/25/95 -0600, Linas Vepstas wrote:

>I read months ago that Netscape Communications had been sued
>by Spyglass for patent infringement.  I didn't pay much heed then,
>but you're right -- this could be important.  Does anyone have any
>more detailed or factual info?
>
>--linas
>
>(The suit was filed round Comdex time, where Netscape had upstaged
>Spyglass in the glitz & hype department, despite Spyglasses "older"
>product.  I thought the suit concerned secure transactions,
>e.g. crypto for financial transactions ??? ).
>
>> From: [log in to unmask]
>> Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 19:24:48 -0500
>> Subject: NCSA patents on MOSAIC ???!!!
>>
>> WARNING:
>>
>> An article published in last Sunday's Chicago Tribune suggests that the
>> University of Illinois has applied for several patents on technology relating
>> to MOSAIC.  If this is true, then they appear to be getting ready for a
>> Unisys/Compuserve-style "hook them then cook them" move against the Internet
>> community.
>>
>> Here's an excerpt from the article:
>>
>> >TITLE: "Microsoft deal lights up Naperville software innovator"
>> >
>> >By Ronald E. Yates
>> >Tribune Staff Writer
>> >Printed 1/22/95
>> >
>> >...Microsoft was eager for the Spyglass deal because the young
>> >company controls the patents to Mosaic, the original software that
>> >converts the complexities of the Internet into a mouse-controlled
>> >graphical form. Mosaic makes the entire Internet look much like
>> >what computer users encounter on their desktops with Microsoft
>>
>> This may have just been a factual error on the part of the Tribune writer,
>> but the potential seriousness of what it suggests must not be ignored.

  Jong Park, [log in to unmask], MRC Protein Engineering UK