HTML-WG@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

HTML-WG Home

HTML-WG  November 1995

HTML-WG November 1995

Re: Correction: <HOT> Attribute not Tag

Sat, 11 Nov 95 20:15:09 EST

> 2. The basic idea is to enable Web browsers to pop-up callouts like the
> ones in MS Word, Netscape 2.0B (Windows) etc. When the pointer is
> stationary over a toolbar button for  a while a small yellow help box
> pops up. Just thought that it would be cool to have HTML specify that ....

I agree, but would like to see it using a combination of three concepts,
one of which is new:
(1) using a URL with a relationship of "help"
(2) allowing a URL to point elsewhere in the same document
(3) allowing a container for text not shown by default.

   For example,

   <HTML>
   <HEAD>....</HEAD>
   <P><A REL="helptext" HREF="#help01">There is a footnote here</A></P>
   .
   .
   .
   </BODY>
   <OTHER>
    <A NAME="help01">This is the help text</A>
    <A NAME="help02">This is another one</A>
   </OTHER>
   </HTML>

Item (3) is to save the overhead of an HTTP fetch, although it does mean
that you couldn't have popups until the end of the document was reached,
so maybe it isn't a win.

The alternative is simpler, use a remote doc:
   <P><A REL="helptext" HREF="http://..../help01">Here is a footnote</A></P>

Lee