Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Subject: Re: Froiligean
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Mon, 9 Jul 2007 11:30:20 -0600

Quoting Steaphan MacRisnidh <[log in to unmask]>:

As Ted MacDonald and Neil MacEwan pointed out - it is "frolic" and
it's often used to describe a communal event focused on some type of
work, whether a milling frolic or a harvest-related event.

I've not heard the word "froilig" used in this context, in Gaelic or
English, outside Cape Breton. It would be interesting to know its
origin in this sense.