Re: British?

Steffan Ellis <[log in to unmask]>

CELTIC-L - The Celtic Culture List.

Thu, 13 Apr 2006 20:27:11 +0100

Ray,

I don't believe that the term 'Celt' used today has much relation to the way
it is used by antiquarians, historians and pre-historians in discussing Iron
Age Europe. When I was in my teens (in the seventies), I wanted to know more
about the connections between Ireland, Scotland and Wales. I had some vague
idea that the Isle of Man, Cornwall and Britain were involved in this too,
but I was not sure how. The main thing I could see was that they were not
English and had had wars or the like with England at some points in history.
We were only taught Anglo-Centric 'British' history at school and so I
browsed the shelves of 'Paperback Parade' and came across a book called 'The
Celts'. It was Nora Chadwick's work and I was completely befuddled by it.
What did some lake in Switzerland have to do with the reason that I felt
more camaraderie with Scotland and Ireland than with England? It did not
explain to me why Breton onion sellers were supposed to speak a language
similar to Welsh, or why there were so many 'Welsh' place-names in Cornwall.
I had given up on it and only in the past ten years have I returned to the
subject. I realised, this time, that I had to separate Celts in the modern
sense from the 'Celts' of Nora Chadwick's early chapters of her book.
Indeed, Dark Age and Medieval Celts needed separate considerations too.

I still find this difficult to do, but I am far from being alone in this. I
was shocked at some of the responses to Simon James (you know, all the
'ethnic genocide stuff') - for me it was a real eye-opener. I was no longer
certain what 'Celtic' was supposed to mean. However, if it was to be used
at all, I became more and more certain that it belonged to the world of
linguistics. Yes, I was in a way referring to the problem that 'Celtic' is
used in different academic disciplines. It is often used in several, or all
of them, in the same discussions. Do we really need to use the term in all
the cases we have? What is wrong with Halstaat and La Tene *instead* of
Celtic when referring to art and style? The term seems to me to me all
things to different people. Archaeology seems to be one of the first fields
to question this and is being marginalised because of this. I am with you on
the rest of the things you say on art. Although I do not agree that it
legitimizes the term for all so called Celtic Art. The knotwork of the early
Medieval period seems to owe more to Germanic influences and to Rome. This
is why I understand what you mean about the need for classification etc, but
on this occasion the wrong term has been used (or rather abused ) - it does
not clarify at all as far as I am concerned. The Welsh (in general, or the
academic establishment) are somewhat reluctant to examoine the question of
Celticity, I believe, as it is taken as questioning national identity and
ethnicity. That the ideas seem to come from east of Offa's Dyke may add to
the suspicion, but I hope that will change. I went to a lecture by Miranda
Green last year. The subject was religion in Roman Britain and she did not
use the word 'Celt' once. She didn't need to. It was refreshing change. :)

Thanks for the post, Ray.

Steffan