Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Great Phycological Contributions
From: Joe Zuccarello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 23 Aug 1999 09:59:43 +1000

Dear Phycologists,
        As part of our celebration of the new millenium, the Journal of
Phycology is  producing an Algal Highlights of "Important phycological
contributions of the 20th Century".
        I am now soliciting your favorites. We will of course not be able
to cover every important contribution but really outstanding ones will be
selected (as unbiased as possible). Contributions of all kinds can be
considered, Calvin's work on photosynthesis in Chlorella is an example.
        If you have nominations please send them to me. If you could
include the appropriate reference and a sentence on why you think it is
worth inclusion that would help our selection immensely.
        A favourite of mine is included below:

Stewart, K.D., Mattox, K.R. 1975. Comparative cytology, evolution and
classification of the green algae with some consideration of the origin  of
other organisms with chlorophyll a and b. Botanical Review 41:104-135.
Placed ultrastructural work in a evolutionary context and initiated
phylogenetic classification in the green 'plants'.

        I think this will be a really important contribution to the
phycological community and will indicate how much important we've all
really done.

Thanks
Joe Zuccarello

Dr Giuseppe C. Zuccarello
School of Biological Science, University of New South Wales
Sydney 2052 NSW, Australia
Tel: 61-2-9385-2075. FAX: 61-2-9385-1558.
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

listserver list run by [log in to unmask]
You can remove your name from the ALGAE-L list by sending a message to
[log in to unmask] with the words SIGNOFF ALGAE-L in the text.
If you have further difficulty please contact the listowner.