Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Identification help requested: Cyanobacteria
From: Maria do Carmo Bittencourt-Oliveira <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 11 Jul 2008 00:05:42 -0300

Dear colleagues:

I am facing difficulties in identifying this colonial cyanobacterium which
is constituting blooms since some months ago in a small eutrophyzed water
body. There is no aerotopes. It seems that they are colonies which
aggregate themselves forming these long strings. The toxicity analysis was
not so far done. By naked eye observation the bloom is quite similar to
that of Microcystis, constituting small flakes. I considered it was
Radiocystis. Has someone any suggestion?

Thank you very much beforehand

Maria do Carmo

Prof. Dr. Maria do Carmo Bittencourt-Oliveira
Universidade de São Paulo
Escola Superior de Agricultura Luiz de Queiroz
Laboratório de Cianobactérias
Piracicaba,São Paulo
19- 3429-4128
Brasil  - 13418-900