Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Algae-L: Dinoflagellate ID & health concerns
From: COSGROVE Jeff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:38:27 +0800

Dear List Members,

I have two calls for assistance if anyone can lend a hand:

1>  Has anybody found evidence of Gymnodinium galatheanum causing
respiratory, epidermal or eye irritation in humans (or promoting respiratory
infection)?

2> We have been observing increasing densities of a Gymnodinium species
(unidentified) in the Swan River (Perth, Australia).  We would appreciate
some help with suggestions on identification and any health implications
following ID.  The species ranges in size but is most commonly close to
27.5um long and 25um wide.  Similar shape to G. mikimotoi / aureolum but has
only very slight dorso-ventral compression.  Stains very dark with lugols.
Large central nucleus. I can send pics to anybody who requests.

Thankyou for any assistance you can provide.

Jeff Cosgrove  ~~~~~~~

Phytoplankton Ecology Unit
Water & Rivers Commission
Australia (WA)
Ph:(61-8)-6250-8062
Fax:(61-8)-6250-8077

please contact Mike Guiry. More information and an archive of messages since
1995 can be found at http://www.seaweed.ie/algae-l/default.html