Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Second try: Phycology
From: Derek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 28 Mar 2000 20:43:00 +0200

...I sent this last night when I first saw the email, but I sent it from the
wrong email address, so let me try again....

Hello,

I would imagine that the idea of phycology being old-fashioned is more
related to the fact that, phylogenetically, algae are a very mixed bag than
it is to semantics. For example, including the paraphyletic chlorophyta into
a course of study with the chromists, and the reds suggests some unifying
features. While polyphyly and paraphyly may be problematic, phycology has a
long and strong history, and phycology courses may well be among the few
places in undergraduate curricula where students are exposed to the real
diversity of photosynthetic life. I have changed my course title from
"Phycology" to "Phylogenetic Survey of Photosynthetic Organisms" to try to
reflect this, and so I can include all the chlorophytes, but I personally
like "Phycology".

Cheers,
Derek Keats

listserver list run by [log in to unmask]
You can remove your name from the ALGAE-L list by sending a message to
[log in to unmask] with the words SIGNOFF ALGAE-L in the text.
If you have further difficulty please contact the listowner.