Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Re: Knocking of selective ions from seawater
From: w j cram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 25 Apr 2005 10:02:08 +0100

I think the answr is 'not really' You could precipitate out barium sulphate, but that would leave problems with either pH or an additional anion. If BaCl2 was soluble (can't remember but I think so), I suppose that the Cl concentration increase would be relatively insignificant.

What is wrong with artificial sea water apart from the tedium, time and cost of making it up? I would guess artificial in the only way of having NO sulphate. The affinity of transporters for sulphate is such that sulphate would be reaadily available at 1000 of the concentration in sea water (25 microM cf 25 mM), and still available at even at another 10x dilution.

John Cram