Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: homology-based gene cloning in Porphyra
From: Dan Coury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 18 May 2005 16:37:27 -0700

Dear all,

I am contemplating a homology-based approach to cloning my genes of interest
from Porphyra. I have some relevant sequence information from the unicellular
red alga Cyanidioschyzon as well as some from green algae. My question to the
more phylogenetically-minded folks out there is, should I weight my primer
design more toward the Cyanidioschyzon sequences or the green algal sequences?
I thought it would be a no-brainer (i.e., Cyanidioschyzon is a red alga), but
from my reading it seems that the distance between Porphyra and Cyanidioschyzon
might be as great as between Porphyra and green algae. Or, am I overthinking
this? Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated.

I should also mention that the Porphyra EST database has not been helpful in
this case.

Thanks in advance,

Dan Coury