Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Sonic Algae Control
From: Stephen Schott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Jul 2004 11:49:12 -0700

Dear All,

I recently came across an advertisement for equipment
that uses sonic waves to control algae blooms in small
ponds.  Are there any published reports that support
this claim?  I believe that I read a paper several
years ago that suggested that growth rates in some
species could be depressed, but not eliminated, by
sonic waves.  Also,  the manufacturers claim that the
high frequency sound, that is rupturing algae cells,
poses no threat to aquatic fauna and plants.  Is this
a valid method of control for algae blooms in small
water bodies?  I would appreciate any references on
this subject.  Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Stephen Schott
Cornell Cooperative Extension