Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

Subject: Re: NEW YORK TIMES ONLINE AFRICAN REPORTS
From: Margaret Kiromo OBPIO 82038 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Jun 1995 01:06:00 -0500

By RANDY KENNEDY

c.1995 N.Y. Times News Service

Marcel Sony Labou Tansi, a novelist considered by many to be Central
Africa's greatest writer, died on Wednesday in Foufoundou, a remote
village in the Congo countryside where he had gone for treatment of
AIDS. He was 48.

The cause of death was complications from AIDS, including pneumonia,
The Associated Press reported, quoting Eugene Banguissa, the former
mayor of Brazzaville, the capital. Tansi's wife, Pierrette, died four
days earlier, also from AIDS complications.

                - stuff deleted -

While in Paris, Tansi finished a new work, ``The Beginnings of Pain,''
which he said his publishers had initially refused to publish because
of what they said was an excessively harsh tone toward France, once
Congo's colonial ruler. He said a new nonfiction work, ``La Cosa
Nostra,'' would argue for a Marshall Plan for Africa.

``Africa is the only continent left that has not found its way,'' Tansi
said in a recent interview. ``We have this incredible wealth, of
resources and of spirit, - stuff deleted -
*********************************

What a tragedy! It seems like our best and brightest are gonna
be wiped out by this horrible disease if a cure isn't found soon.
I think we need a miracle or something soon!

My condolences go to the people of Congo and to his and her families
for this tragic loss. May they forever sleep in peace, where no diseases
can ravage their poor bodies again.

Ou va l'amour
va t'il un jour
nous refaire confiance